A Christian service offering space to say goodbye to those who have died
We are really sorry you have a reason to be here – our hearts go out to you that someone you’ve known and loved has died. As Christians, we want to offer support to all who have been bereaved, of any faith or none. This is made harder by the times we inhabit—when only a limited number can say goodbye at the crematorium, illness can prevent us from being present at the funeral, and we’re unable to hold public services of remembrance or thanksgiving. It is therefore even more important we find ways to allow ourselves to grieve.
To enable this, we have designed a simple online service at no cost to you to help those with any faith or none to take a formal moment to say goodbye to those who have died—whether family member, friend, colleague or acquaintance. This is not trying to replace any future service or gathering that might be held when restrictions are reduced, nor only a service available to those who have lost someone to Covid-19, but is on offer to all as we seek to find ways to help us process this unwanted change in our lives and start moving forward.
Below you will find information about the service, ways this service can be personalised, dates and times, information about bereavement and links to faith and non-faith support groups. Please take time to have a look and use this service how ever is most helpful to you.
It may be that you know someone who would benefit from attending a service. Do talk to them about this—they may not be in the place to find this kind of service for themselves but may well appreciate you telling them.
THE SERVICE: Time to say goodbye
Services will be held online every other month but this may change depending on demand (latest dates and times below in the red box). Each service will reflect something of what you would experience at a crematorium service, including:
- prayers and Bible readings
- a hymn and poem
- a time to remember
- naming of those who have died (see below)
- and a time to say goodbye
The service is pre-filmed and then broadcast on a dedicated YouTube channel to ensure no technical issues happen to disrupt this important occasion. A copy of the service is also available on DVD, by request, should you know someone unable to access YouTube. To request this, please click here.
Anyone is welcome to attend a service at any time by clicking here. We encourage you to dress how you would think appropriate and, if you would like, to have a picture of the person nearby and a candle to light (if safe to do so). Services will remain online for just over two years.
A Personalised Service
We recognise that each person who has died has left a unique mark on our lives. And whilst we haven’t the capacity to customise an entire service for every person, it would be our honour to ensure we name them in a service of your choosing. You can register this request by completing the form below. We will send you a link to the service of your choice nearer the time.
Further, there will be a point in the service when you will be encouraged to remember something about the person to give thanks for. YouTube comments will be enabled (but moderated) so you can leave a personalised tribute.
Dates of upcoming services
We have now stopped running regualar services, however, if this would be of help to someone you know please complete the form below and we will be in touch to arrange a suitable date to facilitate this.
previous service Archive
Saturday 6th June 2020: https://youtu.be/cQzcPZ9p9Gg
Saturday 20th June 2020: https://youtu.be/WmwMeqlUnlI
Saturday 4th July 2020: https://youtu.be/6sCyS6_4Uu4
Saturday 8th August 2020: https://youtu.be/AXKnnFqOqxQ
Saturday 12th September 2020: https://youtu.be/aCM6FOE-xFE
Saturday 10th October 2020: https://youtu.be/TbfdQwxQPSQ
Saturday 12th December 2020: https://youtu.be/c_PUWbbGna0
Saturday 6th February 2021: https://youtu.be/JvISZebfm2s
Saturday 3rd April 2021: https://youtu.be/qXQU3qwAEJo
Form: Naming of Person in service
N.B. If more than one request is made for the same person, the name will only be spoken once. We may get in touch to clarify pronunciations.
Cruse Bereavement Care say, ‘For most of us, bereavement will be the most distressing experience we will ever face. Grief is what we feel when somebody we are close to dies. Everyone experiences grief differently and there is no ‘normal’ or ‘right’ way to grieve.’
Grief is a natural response to bereavement. The journey each person takes and how long it lasts is influenced by many factors and varies for all of us. Please be kind and patient with yourself as you begin to come to terms with your loss. Over time you will start to pick up the pieces and discover new patterns of life. Even then, you may experience renewed times of grief (for instance, around anniversaries) and this is ok.
Another natural reaction is to withdraw and isolate from others. An important part of the healing process will come through receiving the support of other people—not always in words. Try to embrace these relationships and accept the support offered. If it is not helpful, seek to explain what would work better for you.
At this time, you may feel like you do not have people you can talk to or you may not want to burden them. If this is the case, please consider getting in touch with one of the national or local support services listed below (faith and non-faith based). It really is important to know you’re not alone and where to find comfort and support in this journey.
In some cases, the way the person died may be very difficult to come to terms with. If you follow the links below, you will find organisations who specialise in many areas of loss—from prenatal to suicide—often being able to empathise having been in similar situations themselves.
LOCAL Support – Warwick
Use the contact details below to find out more or click on the name to go to their website. A list of local churches is also included. Similar support may be available in your local area if you’re not from Warwick.
- NHS Bereavement Listening Service +44(0)1926 495321 Ext 8131 email@example.com
- Christian Bereavement Support Groups +44 (0)7507 722537 firstname.lastname@example.org Free monthly groups for adults led by experienced facilitators on a Monday evening and Tuesday afternoon.
- New Hope Christian Counselling, Warwickshire Tel: +44 (0)7799 015650 New Hope do not charge for the counselling they provide but do request donations from clients according to what they can afford.
- Space To Remember Held at Northgate Methodist Church, this event Churches Together in Warwick event offers a space for you to talk with someone, light a candle, write in our book, or just rest for a while as you remember someone you’ve lost. (This is not available at the moment due to lockdown restrictions – new dates will be posted once we’re confident it can be resumed safely.)
- The Well Christian Healing Centre: 333 Prayer Tel: +44 (0)1926 888003 email@example.com Sessions run on Tuesday afternoons and evenings and Wednesday mornings via Zoom.
Churches In warwick
This service is just one way the Church seeks to bless the local community through serving them and sharing the love of Jesus. Below are links to the various churches in Warwick where you will find people willing to listen and support you in a more individual way, as well as information on other services they offer. Feel free to make contact, as seems appropriate.
- Churches Together in Warwick Contains links to ten churches
- Myton Church
- Salitsford Church
- Transforming Communities Together Warwick Working in partnership to meet needs, change lives and transform communities.
We offer this information with an open hand. We are not promoting any particular organisation; these are just a selection to help you find the specific support you may need. If any links do not work, please use a search engine to find the latest information.
- Premier Lifeline Tel: +44 (0)300 111 0101 Christian Listening service
- Samaritans Tel: 116 123 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (if you prefer writing and you don’t need to speak to someone urgently)
- Bereavement Advice Centre Tel: +44 (0)800 634 9494 A central resource offering practical advice following bereavement
- Cruse Bereavement Care Tel: +44 (0)808 808 1677 A charity seeking to ensure all bereaved people have somewhere to turn when someone dies
- Association of Christian Counsellors Database to find a local counsellor
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.Revelation 21:3-4
Requesting a Dvd
Please complete the form below, confirming the date of the service you would like a copy of. This service is only available to enable those who do not have access to the internet to take part in an online service. If you want a personal copy of a service to keep, please download the service from YouTube.